Continuing in my quest to own all my data and systems, I want to figure out how to take back control of my blog.
Right now it is a WordPress site hosted at Dreamhost. Been working great for years. However, I don’t really like that all the posts are a WP database in a proprietary (though published) format.
My ideal blogging system:
- all data stored in text files, preferably Markdown
- allows multiple authors
- single button/step publishing
- can write blog on all devices
- some templates to choose from so I don’t have to write them from scratch
- easy to upload media to reference (pictures in posts, etc)
Jekyll seems too complicated, especially for Christine.
I’ve checked out:
- no DB and markdown textiles
- can be modified to support multiple authors
- multiple step publishing (put file in specific directory then “publish” on admin panel)
- can write on all platforms
- a few, though nice, templates
- not easy to upload media
- can’t use MarsEdit to post
Next up, Ghost.
Ghost seems hard to install. Moving on to Statamic. No DB, easy to install.